Make a quick QR code with bit.lyAugust 31st, 2012 by hutdogs
Most people think making a QR code is a lengthy and expensive process. But, you can actually make a QR code in less than 5 minutes for free with Bit.ly.
Bit.ly is a cool tool that allows you to shorten a long URL, share it and even track how many people click on it. Here is a cool trick that lets you make your shortened bit.ly into a QR code:
- Decide where you want your QR code to link (what url/web address). You can create as many QR codes as you want.
- Go to www.bit.ly (note – there is no “.com” in the address). Paste in the URL in top right “paste a link here.” Look for the new bit.ly address that is generated.
- Copy the new bit.ly address and paste it into the address bar of your web browser. At the end of your bit.ly address simply add “.qr” (For example: http://bit.ly/tlD5Lf.qr (note, all we did was add the .qr on the end of the address and it automatically took us to a page with the QR code art)
- Download the QR code art and use it on your printed material.
- Make sure to give it a test on your own smart phone. We have found the ATTscanner app works great.
We’ve seen some creative placements of QR codes – packaging, business cards, the entire side of a building, the roof of a building. The sky is the limit. It’s up to your imagination.